Buying gifts, especially for a girlfriend, wife, or loved one, can be hard. On one hand, you can’t just pick up a simple, all-purpose gift like a Starbucks card—that isn’t very personal. On the other hand, buying something practical like a new Swiffer or a food processor isn’t very romantic. Finally, on the third hand, not everyone can afford to spring for diamond jewelry for every birthday, Christmas, anniversary and Valentine’s Day. Some men even feel that once they buy that engagement ring, they should be excused from gift-giving forever. But most men—and you are probably among them—want to buy their significant others something sweet and romantic, and are just unsure of what to buy. Here are five great ideas that most omen will love—perfect for Valentine’s Day, new mom presents, or just to say “I love you” any day of the week (or when you want to go on a weekend golf trip with the guys.)
1. Personalized electronics. Just buying her a camera or a new phone may not seem so romantic, but many electronics companies are allowing you to personalize your purchase and make it unique. The Flip video camera, for example, allows you to upload a photo to their website and have it printed directly onto the camera’s face. Other companies allow you to choose from a variety of colors, styles, and optional accessories. The Apple computer company provides personalized monogramming and engraving on all the hottest products like iPods, iPhones and iPads.
2. Upgrade the everyday. You don’t have to buy rings for every birthday and anniversary, but you can make every special occasion memorable by giving her something that will transform an everyday experience. Think of what she loves to do and find a personalized accessory or equipment that will upgrade that experience every day of the year. Does she love gardening? Go with a top-of-the-line gardening set that is both functional and fashionable. Does she spend an hour applying makeup and getting ready before going out? Make her feel like a true lady of luxury with a gorgeously carved vanity table and mirror and a bottle of an exclusive cream like La Mer. If she lives for her morning cup of coffee, invest in a high-end coffee machine that will brew her morning espresso or cappuccino in style.
3. A dash of designer. Lots of women, whether they will admit it or not, love the feeling of slipping on something with a designer label on it. Sure, it may not be actually worth more than a non-designer product, you may be thinking, but there is something fun and exciting about wearing an exclusive brand regardless. Indulge that excitement a little with a little memento of a favorite brand. It doesn’t have to be diamond jewelry from Tiffany’s—it can be a silver pendant necklace from the brand. Instead of a Louis Vuitton luggage set, buy her a Louis Vuitton wallet. It’s a small indulgence that will make her fashionable every time she uses it, whether it is a Kate Spade scarf or a small piece of diamond jewelry from Baccarat.
4. A whole new experience. Sometimes, the best gifts are not things at all, but memorable experiences that can be cherished forever. Is there any experience or trip she has always talked about, but never been able to actually try, or does she have a favorite day trip that will give her instant vacation bliss. A day at the spa, or a night out on the town, or even a weekend away from it all can be the perfect way to celebrate a special occasion. Get dressed in a tuxedo, a dress, and your best pearls and diamonds for a night at the opera, or pack away the diamond jewelry and head off for a week of camping. Or nobly offer to stay home with the baby and send her and her best friend off for a rejuvenating spa adventure.
5. Jewelry—but make it personal. No matter what those Kay Jewelers commercials tell you, there is something impersonal about buying a piece of jewelry that approximately one million other guys will buy for their wives during the holiday season. To make a diamond jewelry gift personal, think about what she loves, what experiences you’ve had together, and then translate that into a piece of diamond jewelry she will really cherish forever. Incorporate unique elements like your children’s birthstones, your wedding date, and even inscribe the inside of the message. And you don’t have to buy rings all the time—most women would prefer a wide variety of jewelry items, like necklaces, bracelets and earrings.
- Celtic Jewellery Gifts (thegiftarena.co.uk)